Sunday, September 15, 2013

ONE WEEK MORE

...and I hit the field!  The mission field of who knows where!  That's right, in a week I will either have my visa or a reassignment!!!  THE MYSTERY NEVER ENDS!  So make your guesses now!

...and pray it is a warm state as I packed little to no warm clothing....  Brazil....

This week was more of the same!  Studying, teaching, speaking Portuguese, happy times!  We're down to crunch time now though so I'm working harder than ever.  

Some fun stuff this week is that I got to be a host for new missionaries that came in on Wednesday.  I hosted a girl who was from Fiji and is serving in Colorado, how nuts!  It was awesome to see all their shiny new faces, completely overwhelmed, and not entirely sure what they signed up for.  (one girl was completely bawling and I did not know how to handle it...)  It's weird to think that was me not that long ago.  It seems like months ago!  

Something we have started doing here is TRC.  It's where real people come in who speak Portuguese and we teach them.  We taught a girl from Sao Paulo and it was the coolest.  We also taught a bunch of missionaries who served in Brazil and Portugal.  It gets me so excited.  

One of the highlights of my weeks are, however, getting to sing in the MTC choir.  It is so powerful.  This week we sang one of my favorite hymns at the devotional.  We sang a song called "Where Can I Turn For Peace"  


Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?

Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.

He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.

I think something everyone seeks in this life is peace.  So many people don't know where to find it.  They look their whole lives in all the wrong places.  They turn to money, things, alcohol.  And they are always left feeling just as empty as when they started.  

Because the only thing that can truly give us peace and lasting happiness is Jesus Christ and His atonement.  

The song makes me think of when Jesus was walking out on the water.  His apostles were pretty freaked out and thought He was a ghost.  When they did see that it was Him, I probably would have been freaked out too, but Peter, however, asks Jesus to bid him come out on the water too.  He walked out on the water to Jesus.  And he got pretty far until he saw the giant waves around Him.

"When He saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.  And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand and caught him..." Matt 14:30-31

Life is not easy, and sometimes our faith falters.  But Jesus Christ, as the song says, "reaches our reaching."  He will always catch us.  Beautiful.  

Anywho!  I love you family and miss you dearly!  

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAI EU AMO VOCE MUITO, NAO OBSTANTE VOCE E VIELO!

jajaja brincadora.  

com amor,
 
Sister Burch

No comments:

Post a Comment