Thursday, October 3, 2013

Week One Among The Lost Vegans

Get it?  The Lost Vegans is just what I call the lovely people of Las Vegas. 
 
I LOVE IT HERE.
 
Well... except for one rather unfortunate happenstance.
 
....
 
I have fleas.
 
No really, I do.
 
Everyone says our area is the most ghetto, but I guess I never thought it was that bad (maybe because I was raised in St. Cloud?)  So I didn't believe them.  But then we went to this one house and after that I was... really itchy.  And later that night during a lesson I saw a tiny white insect scurry across my lap.  I tried to play it cool because the conversation was serious, but failed.  I freaked out.  
 
So that's fun! 
 
And speaking of creeping things, my companions found two scorpions in our apartment.  TWO OF THEM.  Pray for me.  We also witnessed a domestic dispute right outside our apartment, so there is never a dull moment around here :)
 
Something I love about Las Vegas is how diverse it is.  I have met people from Mexico, Barbados, Africa, and Ecuador.  I have met dog trainers, and miners, and a ska band.  It is the coolest thing to get to talk to people who are complete strangers and get to hear their stories.  I've gotten to use my Spanish a lot as well! 
 
On Sunday, I was feeling a little discouraged and prayed to find someone who needed us and needed our help.  We were driving to church when we saw a car on the side of the road.  Sister D. pulled a swift U-turn and we pulled up next to the car.  We got out to see if the man who had a flat tire needed help.  He looked so discouraged, but when he looked up at us he just smiled and said that he just knew we were from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  He said he used to go to school in Utah and he knew our hearts were good.  And it turns out, another time he was having car troubles he was stuck on the side of a freeway.  A man picked him up that turned out to be a Mormon bishop.  No kidding.  His name is Rafael and he is from an African country that I don't quite remember. 
 
There are no coincidences.  And when we pray with faith, miracles happen.  God is in every detail and the people He puts in our paths, He puts there for a reason. 
 
I love you all so much!  Thanks for being here for me!  Next week I promise to send pictures as well :) 
 
once again my address is
 
4455 Allen Lane #140
North Las Vegas, NV 89031
 
love,
 
Sister Burch

No comments:

Post a Comment