Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Almost dying and other foolish decisions

First and foremost, forgive me for not writing for two weeks.  I´m a fubeca.  


Almost dying:

-this week we went to the city again to attend a new missionary training.  Yup.  Five months into my mission and I am still considered a greenie!  We had to take buses and then ride a train and the train was really packed.  My companion claims that she forgets I am American sometimes and so she hopped onto a completely packed car last minute.  I ran to follow after her but as I hopped on the door started to close and there was no space for me.  The door hit me and some man grabbed me and pulled me into the train.  It was terrifying.  I will try to not be so obviously unacustomed to public transportation in the future

-Another day my companion bolted to cross a busy street and I followed after her (sensing a pattern here?)  and I was a foot away from getting ran over by a car.  Needless to say, I will not follow my companion so blindly in the future hahaha.

Other foolish decisions:

-A family we are teaching had a churrasco party and cooked a tooon of meat.  They piled a ton of it on my plate and awaited patiently to see if I liked it.  I cut a piece of chicken and took a bite, and quickly realized that it was completely, 100% raw.  I was internally freaking out, but I did not want to spit out their food in front of everyone so... I ate it.  Yup.  Raw chicken.  It was repugnante.  I later spazzed out to my companion and thought I was going to either die or develope chicken-like super powers.  She acted like it was no big deal, and I haven´t gotten a tape worm yet, sooooo fingers crossed!

Missionary Sundays:

-I remember Sundays in my past life.  It was a much simpler time.  I woke up, went to church, came home and took a nap.  Sundays as a missionary is a lot like what I think being a mother on Sundays is like.  Except instead of yelling at your kids to wake up and get dressed for church, we walk 10 miles uphill to pick up all of the people and families we are teaching.  Though I must say walking in a gang of 12 people to the chapel is the best feeling!

It is hard to believe that I have now been in Brazil for a whole month!  My Portuguese is getting better and better each week, and I am loving the culture, the people, the city, and even the rice and beans.  

Fica firme!  Know that I pray for you!

beijos,

Sister "Burk"

______

Transfer calls were yesterday!
...And I get to stay at least another 6 weeks with my lovely companheira in Osasco!  Whoop whoop!
We are moving to a new apartment this week as well and I can´t wait to live in a place where my suitcases don´t take up half of the room!
This week was truly incredible.  We had a sisters training meeting in the city and President Del Guerso showed us a bunch of charts and stats of areas where he put sisters instead of elders.  The work in every area skyrocketed.  WHATTUP SISTAS!  Elders, you are okay too i guess :)
This Saturday we had 2 baptisms!  Rafael and Laura, a brother and sister and the very first people I ever taught in Brasil.  It was a miracle and the happiest I have ever been in my life.  (I am trying to upload pictures but it is not working!)
After the baptism we planned an activity for the ward and it was a blast! Over 60 people showed up! 
I love my mission so much.  Every day is so difficult and so happy at the same time.  It is full of literal uphill climbs and dissapointments and rejections, but it is worth it.  Because every person is worth it.
HAVE A GOOD WEEK I LOVE YOU ALL! 
beijos,
Sister "Burshie"

No comments:

Post a Comment